It's pumpkin season, my favorite season. I love everything from pumpkin spice cupcakes to pumpkin pie to these Vegan Pumpkin Scones. They are super moist thanks to organic applesauce and homemade organic oat milk. Plus they are very easy to make and are refined-sugar free. Here's how I make them.
- 1 c AP Flour (can sub GF Flour Blend)
- 1 c Whole Wheat Flour (can sub GF Flour Blend)
- 1/3 c Coconut Sugar
- 2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 c Vegan Butter (cold and cut in small cubes)
- 1/2 c Pumpkin Puree
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 c Plant-Based Milk (I make my own Organic Oat Milk. Check out the recipe here).
- 1/4 Organic Applesauce (go organic since apples are part of the EWG Dirty Dozen for pesticides)
- 1/3 c Confectioner's Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/2 tbsp Plant-Based Milk
- Preheat oven to 400F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, coconut sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add in cold butter and cut across with two knives until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Combine pumpkin puree, vanilla, plant-based milk and organic applesauce in a medium bowl. Add to dry ingredients and combine.
- Scoop dough onto parchment paper and cut into 8 slices (like a pizza).
- Spread scones apart by at least one inch and bake for 15 minutes, until golden.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and move to cooling rack.
- To make glaze, combine confectioner's sugar, pumpkin spice and plant-based milk in small bowl. Drizzle over cooled scones.
Makes 8 scrumptious scones.