St. Paddy's Day Spinach Cupcakes
Happy St. Patrick's Day! This holiday is celebrated on March 17th as St. Patrick died on this day in 461 AD. St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland, is celebrated as bringing Christianity to Ireland, with his famous symbol being the shamrock. Green is associated with this special day as Ireland's nickname is the Emerald Isle. The St. Patrick's Day tradition was popularized by Irish immigrants in the United States, who believed that wearing green made them invisible to leprechauns—the classic fairy creatures who pinch anyone they can see.
Let's celebrate by baking something green. Spinach adds a beautiful natural green to baked goods. These Spinach Cupcakes are light, fluffy and super moist thanks to organic applesauce. You can't even taste how healthy they are for you. Topped with a buttercream 4-Leaf Clover and natural gold Passionfruit sparkles from Suncore Foods. Go organic when it comes to spinach and apples as they are part of the Environmental Working Group Dirty Dozen (aka they have the highest level of pesticides among other produce).
Here's my easy recipe for these yummy cupcakes.
- 3.5 c Organic Spinach
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 c Sugar
- 1.5 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 c Organic Applesauce
- 1 tbsp Orange Juice
- 1 c All-Purpose Flour
- 1.5 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 c Confectioner's Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin tin with unbleached cupcake liners.
- Puree organic spinach in blender. Add in eggs, sugar and vanilla and blend well. Follow with organic applesauce, lemon juice and oil. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Add spinach mixture and whisk together.
- Using a large cookie scoop, scoop batter into liners.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool in pan for 8 minutes and move to cooling rack to cool completely.
- While cupcakes are cooking, beat butter for 3 minutes until fluffy. Add vanilla and confectioner's sugar and beat for another 2 minutes.
- Fit piping bag with 104 tip and fill with buttercream. Gently squeeze buttercream with wide side up in an upside "U" motion two times next to each other to form 1 clover leaf. Repeat 3 times. Finish by squeezing a small amount at the base of the clover for the stem.
- Add natural gold sprinkles like Suncore Foods Passionfruit Sparkle.
Enjoy! Makes 12 cupcakes.