Old-Fashioned Apple Crisp
Do you know the difference between Apple Crisp and Apple Crumble? A crisp is a baked fruit dessert topped with a crisp and crunchy layer of ingredients.
A crumble is a baked fruit dessert with a layer of topping that rarely includes oats or nuts.
Bake this easy Apple Crisp as apples are in season this month.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Serving Size: 8
- 1 1/2 c All Purpose Flour (swap in Gluten-Free Flour Blend or replace with Whole Wheat Flour if desired)
- 1/2 c Organic Old-Fashioned Oats (certified gluten-free if desired)
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 5 tbsp Unsalted Butter, diced (swap in Vegan Butter like Earth Balance if desired)
- 2 tsp Royal Cinnamon by Burlap & Barrel
- 1/2 tsp Stone Ground Nutmeg by Burlap & Barrel
- 5 Medium Organic Granny Smith Apples
- 1/2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2/3 c Brown Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Peel and slice apples 1/4" thick. Add to bowl.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp Royal Cinnamon and Lemon Juice on apples and stir with wooden spoon to coat. Spoon into Pie Pan.
- In same mixing bowl, combine flour, organic oats, brown sugar,
salt and butter. Using two butter knives or pastry blender, cut butter into oat mixture, using a slight downward twisting motion, until mixture resembled pea-sized crumbs.
- Spread topping over apples in a pie pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown and apples are tender when pierced with a fork.