Have you heard about Veganuary? It's a challenge to go Vegan for the month of January. Learn more about Veganuary and baking tips to create beautiful, delicious Vegan treats.
What is Veganuary?
Veganuary is Vegan + January. It was created by a UK non-profit organization to encourage people worldwide to try vegan for January and beyond to promote health, protect the environment and end animal farming. A vegan diet only includes plant-based foods. It doesn't include any foods that come from animals including eggs, honey and dairy products.
What are the benefits of a Vegan diet?
There are many benefits associated with a vegan diet. Here are a few:
- Better Heart Health - A meat and dairy based diet is rich in saturated fats which can lead to high cholesterol. Consuming less saturated fats can lower your risk of heart disease.
- Improved Digestive System - Dairy and meat are associated with digestive issues. Meat can be like sludge in your system, slowing down everything. Many folks are lactose intolerant (including myself) so dairy can wreak havoc on your digestive system. Going plant-based can move things along, thereby increasing your energy to do all the amazing things you never have energy for.
- Good for the environment - Did you know it takes 4,000 to 18,000 gallons of water to produce one hamburger? Meat products are resource-intensive. Vegan diets not only conserve limited resources like water and land, but they also produce less greenhouse gases.
What can I do to bake Vegan?
Now is an amazing time to bake Vegan. There are so many different vegan brands that have launched. Here are some ways to bake within a Vegan diet, specifically how I made this Vegan Floral Buttercream cake.
✨Used Coconut Oil and Oatly Oat Milk to keep it moist
✨Turned Earth Balance Unsalted Vegan Buttery Sticks into luscious buttercream roses
✨Tinted the vegan buttercream roses with Suncore Foods Pink Pitaya Supercolor Powder
✨Combined 1/2 tsp Baking Soda with 1 tbsp Vinegar to help the cake rise
What are some easy Vegan baking recipes?
1. Make an easy 2-Ingredient Vegan Chocolate Frosting by combining 3/4 cup of chocolate chips with 1 cup of heated coconut cream (be sure to use the thick cream at the top of the can). Stir together and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Spread this luscious frosting on your cake.
2. Make Meringue Rose Pops with Aquafaba (Vegan liquid gold). Whip the liquid from a can of chickpeas along with 1/4 tsp of Cream of Tartar until soft peaks form. Add 1/3 cup of sugar, 1/2 tsp of Vanilla Extract and 1 tsp of beet juice. Whip until stiff peaks form. Fill a bag fitted with a 1M tip and pipe roses on a pop stick. Bake at 250 degrees for 45 minutes. Close oven and leave pops in oven for 1 hour. Take out of the oven and enjoy these airy treats that melt in your mouth like cotton candy.
3. Indulge in Vegan Millionaire Bars. These Grain-Free, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free shortbread cookies are layered with Soom Foods Premium Tahini Caramel and then a layer of Dark Chocolate. It's topped with flakes of sea salt for a sweet and savory bite. These cookies are rich hence why they are named Millionaire Bars.
- 1.5 c Almond Flour
- 3 tbsp Melted (Organic) Coconut Oil
- 2 tbsp (Organic) Maple Syrup
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 c Soom Foods Premium Tahini
- 1/2 c (Organic) Maple Syrup
- 1/3 c (Organic) Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 3/4 c Dairy-Free Dark Chocolate (our favorite is Enjoy Life)
- 1 tbsp (Organic) Coconut Oil
- Sea Salt to sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8x8 pan with non-stick spray or coconut oil and line it with parchment paper.
- Combine all shortbread ingredients and bake for 10 minutes.
- In a medium pot over medium-low heat, combine the Tahini Caramel ingredients. Pour over shortbread layer that has cooled for 10 minutes.
- Put in freezer for 25 minutes.
- Melt chocolate with coconut oil in microwave for 30 seconds and then 15 second intervals until completely melted, stirring in between. Pour over Caramel Tahini layer and spread evenly with spatula.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Sprinkle on Sea Salt and refrigerate for another 30 minutes before cutting in 9 squares.
Hope you enjoy Veganuary!