It's the most wonderful time of the year! Celebrate the season with these cute Candy Cane Sugar Cookies. The secret ingredient to keeping these cookies moist with less refined sugar is Organic Applesauce. Plus they're topped with natural red sanding sugar (Red Dye-40 FREE). Make these lightly buttery treats with your family this holiday.
- .875 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 tsp Cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/8 cup Brown Sugar
- ½ stick (4 tbsp.) Unsalted Butter (use Vegan butter like Earth Balance for Vegan option)
- 2 tbsp Organic Applesauce
- 1 c Confectioner's Sugar
- 5 tsp Milk of your Choice
- 1 tsp Natural Red Sanding Sugar
Add softened butter to a large mixing bowl and cream with a mixer. Add sugar, brown sugar, organic applesauce, and beat for 1 minute.
- In separate bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Add to wet ingredients and mix.
- Scoop onto one side of parchment paper (halved). Fold over the parchment paper so the dough is in between and roll with rolling pin until 1/4" thickness. Freeze for 12 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and cut candy cane shape using cookie cutter. Place cut hearts on one side of parchment paper. Freeze for 10 minutes. Turn on oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 13 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and move to cooling rack to cool for 10 minutes.
- Mix Confectioner's Sugar with Milk in a small bowl. Using a Wilton Tip #5 with a pastry bag or a large zip-top bag snipped in the corner, fill bag with royal icing. Gently squeeze to trace candy cane cookie. Sprinkle red sanding on top. Enjoy!