Baking with Beets
Beets are superfoods. There are endless benefits including helping the liver to function, reducing LDL "bad" cholesterol and helping fight anemia and fatigue. They're not just great in salads. They also a perfect way to add some nutrition to baked goods. Here are a few recipes to get you started.
Beet Bombshell Brownies
These are my favorite brownies. They are packed with beets plus protein powder to make it a super nutritional sweet treat. I called them Bombshell Brownies because these nutrients enhance your beauty from the inside out.
- 1 Love Beets Cooked Organic large beet (1/2 cup pureed)
- 1/4 c maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 c chocolate chips, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 scoops protein powder
- 1/3 cup organic cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 c confectioner's sugar
- 3 tsp beet juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat 6 cup heart silicone pan with oil.
- Whisk together beets, maple syrup, eggs, vanilla extract and melted chocolate.
- In a separate bowl, mix all dry ingredients together and add to wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Divide evenly into pan, approximately 1/4 cup each for a total of 9. Sprinkles on 1/4 cup chocolate chips.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before moving to cooling rack to cool completely.
- While the brownies cool, mix confectioner's sugar with beet juice and drizzle on brownies.
Makes 9 decadent brownies.
Beet Colored Sugar Cookies
An easy way to jazz up your sugar cookies is to add naturally-colored royal icing. The recipe is super simple. Add 5 tsp of beet juice to 1 cup of confectioner's sugar. Stir well and fill piping bag with Tip #5. Gently squeeze icing onto cookie, creating outline first. To fill the center, thin out icing a bit by adding 1 tsp of beet juice at a time until a fluid/ runny consistency is achieved. Makes 3/4 cup.
My daughter and I love beets and we love hummus so Beet Hummus is the perfect marriage. It's a no bake snack and blends sweet with savory. Plus it only takes 5 minutes to make.
- 1 Love Beets Cooked Organic small beet
- 1 can Chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp of Soom Foods Premium Tahini
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/4 c Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Add all ingredients except olive oil into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Slowly drizzle olive oil into blender with it on (alternatively add half of the olive oil to blender and blend. Stop and repeat).
Makes 6 servings. Enjoy!