Stop buying Apple Cider Donuts. Make your own. They are super easy to make and nothing beats these healthier donuts fresh out of the oven. Plus, they are vegan, dairy-free and refined sugar-free. Here's how I make them.
- 1 1/2 c Apple Cider
- 2 c AP or GF Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil (melted)
- 1 Flax Egg ( 1 tbsp Flaxseed Meal plus 3 tbsp warm water - set for 5 minutes)
- 1/3 c + 4 tbsp Sugar, divided
- 1/3 c Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 c Plant-based Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Spray donut pan with non-stick cooking spray or coat with Coconut Oil. Reduce Apple Cider to 1/2 cup by simmering
in a small pot over medium heat for approximately 20 minutes (check after 15 minutes). Let cool off the stove.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon,
Ground Nutmeg and salt together in a large bowl.
- Microwave coconut oil in small bowl for 10 - 15 seconds. Add
brown sugar, sugar, egg, milk and vanilla extract. Whisk
together and add to dry ingredient mixture. Use spatula
to stir in reduced apple cider.
- Spoon batter into donut cavities or squeezing through pastry bag (or
zipped-top bag with corner slightly cut).
- Bake for 10 minutes. While baking, combine 4 tbsp sugar and 1 tsp
cinnamon in bowl.
- Let donuts cool in pan for 1 minute. Slide a (small) spatula
around the edges of donuts to loosen them from pan. Quickly
dip the top of the donuts in the cinnamon sugar and swirl in
bowl. Flip donut and do the same for the bottom. Cool on cooling rack. Enjoy warm!
Makes 12 mouthwatering donuts.